College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Colleges and Schools
- College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
- Faculty and Staff
- Todd C. Koesters J.D., M.S.A.
Faculty and Staff
Todd C. Koesters, J.D., M.S.A.
Director, Center for Advancement of Sport and Entertainment Management
|Department:||Sport and Entertainment Management
College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management
J.D., Capital University Law School
M.S.A., Ohio University
B.A., Ohio State University
A native of Ohio, Todd C. Koesters received his bachelor's degree from Ohio State University, a master's degree in sports administration from Ohio University and a Juris Doctor degree from Capital University Law School where he served as president of the Sports and Entertainment Law Society.
Koesters joined USC from Churchill Downs Entertainment Group (CDE), a wholly owned subsidiary of Churchill Downs Inc., where he served as vice president of marketing and sales. His responsibilities included sponsorship sales, brand creation, development and management, strategic planning and ticket sales for all new entertainment events.
Prior to joining CDE, Koesters worked for one of the largest sports and entertainment event marketing firms, GMR Marketing, as vice president of Sports Group, where he was responsible for sales and other strategic growth initiatives within its burgeoning sports practice. During his tenure at GMR, he also served as vice president of client services where he led multiple clients in developing and implementing marketing strategies leveraging sports and entertainment as a platform. Clients included Alltel, Ask.com and The Coleman Company.
While at GMR, Koesters was a member of the sports department that received the Sports Business Journal's Event Marketing Firm of the Year Award. He was inducted into the GMR Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Sport consumer behavior
- Sales and marketing
- Sponsorships and ROI / ROO
Honors and awards
- 2014 SEVT Case Cup Champion (Assistant Team Coach)
- 2013 National Sports Forum Case Cup — Runner Up (Team Coach)
- 2009 Sports Business Journal “Event Marketing Firm of the Year”- GMR Marketing
- 2008 GMR Marketing Hall of Fame Inductee
- 2005 Event Marketer Magazine: Best Mobile Marketing Program (B to C) — Gold Award Winner
- SPTE 203 – Introduction to Events and Venues
- SPTE 342 – Contracts and Negotiations in Sport and Entertainment
- SPTE 444 – Sport and Entertainment Event Management
- SPTE 450 – Sales in Sport and Entertainment
Koesters, T. C., Brown, M., and Grady, J. (2015). "You agreed to what? Implications of past agreements between donors and athletic support groups." Sport Marketing Quarterly, 24, 67-69.
Bernthal, M. J., Koesters, T. C., Ballouli, K., and Brown, M. T. (in press). "Motivations and fan engagement related to professional bass fishing spectatorship." Sport Marketing Quarterly. 1-40.
Brown, M. T. & Koesters, T. C. (2014). "Beware of flying hotdogs: Inherent or unreasonable risks?" Sports Marketing Quarterly 23(1), 115-117. Available here.
Titlebaum, P., Koesters, T. C., and Branca, D. (2013). "The analysis of North American “Big Four” sports leagues basing on geographical division." International Journal of Developmental Sport Management, 2(1), 1-25.
Titlebaum, P., Gillentine, A., Brown, M., Miller, J. and Koesters, T. C. (2013). "Sponsorship activation: Best practices in North American professional team sport." International Journal of Sport Management, 15(2), 239-256.
Industry / trade publications
Titlebaum, P., Koesters, T. C., (2012). "Strategies and beat practices to keep sponsors coming back." Seat, 22, (1) 82-83.
Titlebaum, P., Koesters, T. C., (2012). "Premium seat sales strategies and best practices from a team perspective." Seat, 21, (4), 64, 66.
Book chapters and invited contributions
Koesters, T. C., (2011). "Interview 1.1." M.S. Nagel and R.M. Southall (Eds.), Introduction to Sport Management: Theory and Practice. (pp. 11-14) Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishers.
- Koesters, T. C. (PI), Bernthal, M., (Co-PI) (2014). Teaching Innovation Grant: New Product Development and Entrepreneurship in Sport and Entertainment Funding provided by College of HRSM Funded: $5,000.
- Koesters, T. C. (PI), Ballouli, K. (Co-PI) (2014). Economic Impact of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix on the State of Texas. Funding provided by Circuit of The Americans. Funded: $14,364.
- Regan, T. (PI), Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI), (2014). An Economic Impact Analysis of the Charlotte Bobcats and Time Warner Cable Arena. Funding provided by Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. Funded: $22,500.
- Koesters, T. C. (PI), Ballouli, K. (Co-PI), Heere, B. (Co-PI), (2013). Economic Impact of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix on the State of Texas. Funding provided by Circuit of The Americas. Funded: $16,229.
- Koesters, T. C. (PI), Ballouli, K. (Co-PI), and Bernthal, M. (Co-PI) (2013). Seminar training on consumer behavior theory and research. Funding provided by Ebonite International, Inc. Funded: $6,000.
- Shaomian, A. (PI), Ballouli, K. (Co-PI), Gillentine, A. (Co-PI), and Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI) (2013). Seminar on marketing and target positioning for the nonprofit and entertainment industry. Funding provided by the SC Arts Commission. Funded: $1,000.
- Ballouli, K. (PI), Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI), and Harrill, R. (Co-PI) (2013). An assessment of overnight camping services offered at Patriots Point and the USS Yorktown. Funding provided by the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum. Funded: $19,000.
- Gillentine, A. (PI), Ballouli, K. (Co-PI), DiPietro, R. B. (Co-PI), Grady, J. (Co-PI), Heere, B. (Co-PI), Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI), Mercado, H. (Co-PI), Nagel, M. S. (Co-PI), Regan, T. H. (Co-PI), Shaomian, A. (Co-PI), and Southall, R. M. (Co-PI) (2013). Venue Management School Educational Materials - Phase I. Funding provided by the International Association of Venue Managers. Funded: $10,000.
- Gillentine, A. (PI), Brown, M. (Co-PI), Regan, T. (Co-PI), Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI) (2012). A Market Assessment of the Carolina Panthers. Funding provided by Moore & Van Allen PLLC. Funded: $16,000.
- Hudson, S. (PI), Cardenas, D. (Co-PI), Koesters, T. C. (Co-PI), Meng, F. (Co-PI), Regan, T. (Co-PI). (2012). A Feasibility Study for an International Horse Park in Aiken, SC. Funding provided by Aiken Chamber of Commerce. Funded: $80,000.