If you are interested in the University of South Carolina's College of Hospitality,
Retail and Sport Management Visiting Scholar Program, please follow the process below:
- Initiate contact with departmental faculty and begin discussions on research projects
of shared interest. Use the faculty directories below to identify scholars whose research
interests overlap with yours. Contact them to discuss the possibility of a collaboration.
- Develop a shared “research plan” that you and the USC faculty member would pursue.
Please describe the projects, the types of research questions you will be asking,
and the potential contributions your work will make in the academic discipline. Here
is a sample research plan for reference.
- Briefly discuss your goals for the visiting scholar experience. What do you want to
accomplish while at the University of South Carolina?
- Complete the College of HRSM Visiting Scholar Application Form.
After your application is submitted to the College of HRSM, the processing flow will
- HRSM considers the application with the sponsoring faculty member and the department.
- If approved, HRSM issues an appointment offer letter (usually signed by the dean or
associate dean who oversees international cooperation) in consultation with International Student and Scholar Support and HR Office of International Services.
- ISSS collects Exchange Visitor Program-qualifying materials and issues Form DS-2019.
- Applicant applies for a non-immigrant visa at the U.S. consulate in their home country.
- ISSS provides welcome orientation and HR-OIS facilitates the affiliate appointment
or employment onboarding process.
* Typically, an HRSM faculty member will host no more than two visiting scholars at
the same time. The faculty member may choose to forward applicants’ information to
an HRSM faculty colleague if the colleague is deemed to be a better fit for the visiting
scholar's research interests.
For More Information